TAKORADI POLYTECHNIC JUBILEE TRAINING CENTRE TO START TRAINING OF TECHNICIANS FOR THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY BY 30TH SEPTEMBER 2013.
The programmes which are recognized by the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) and Process Authority Award Vocational Qualification Science Engineering Technology (PAAVQSET) are to help complement government’s efforts in building the capacity of local people to assume commanding heights in the oil and gas, and allied industries.
The certificate and diploma courses which will run between a maximum period of six months and a minimum of a day are based on internationally accredited Vocational Qualifications (QV2) and Examinations Regulation to ensure that the qualification meet the required health and safety standards in the world of work.
NEBOSH and PAAVQSET are UK-based independent Specialist Awarding Examination Boards working with the UK business community, colleges and training providers, using a national network of centers to deliver vocational qualifications in health,safety and environmental practice management
According to the head of JTTC, Mr. Mathew Gyan, upon successful completion of the programme, students will acquire improved knowledge in health and safety as well as handling problems associated with the flow of fluids through pipes, open channels, and all kinds of flow dynamics. Knowledge would also be acquired in the fields of hydraulic turbines, dams, jet propulsion, compressors, pumps and hydraulic pressures, using water and/or other liquids.
Some of the specific programmes to be run include;
- Foundations in Health and Safety
- Health and Safety Management Systems 1 – Policy
- Health and Safety Management Systems 2 – Organising
- Health and Safety Management Systems 3 – Planning
- Health and Safety Management Systems 4 – Measuring, audit and review
- Transport Hazards And Risk Control
- Musculoskeletal Hazards And Risk Control
- Work Equipment Hazards And Risk Control
- Electrical Safety
- Fire Safety
- Chemical and Biological Health Hazards And Risk Control
- Physical and Psychological Health Hazards And Risk Control
Mr. Mathew Gyan also maintained that the centre is also open to industries, manufacturing and servicing organizations to train their staff in modern trends in instrumentation, mechanical, electrical, process engineering and health and safety.
source: Takoradi Polytechnic
prepared by: Sultan Nuhu Mohammed